- 1 pound lean ground chicken or turkey
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons whole grain breadcrumbs (increase the amount if the balls don’t stay round and firm) + more for coating the balls
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn or roughly chopped
In a large bowl, mix the ground chicken, Parmesan, spinach, egg, 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Mix well until it is compact.
Shape little balls with the mixture then coat them with breadcrumbs. Set aside.
In a saucepan, over medium heat, sautè the tomatoes in 1 tablespoon olive oil for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves at the end of cooking. Then set aside.
Over medium – high heat, in big shallow saucepan with 1/4 cup olive oil, fry the chicken balls until all sides are golden brown.
When they are cooked, transfer them to a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
Serve the chicken balls together with the tomatoes.
Yields: 20 meatballs/4 servings
Serving Size: 5 meatballs
Total Fat: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 144 mg
Sodium: 165 mg
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Sugars: 1 g
Protein: 26 g
SmartPoints value : 6