- ⅔ cup non-dairy milk – I used unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup egg whites or 1 flax egg (1 tbsp freshly ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free pure vanilla extract
- 10 drops vanilla stevia or 2 tbsp xylitol *see note
- ⅔ cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
Combine almond milk and chia and allow to sit for 10 minutes – this will get the chia all gelatinous and good for your digestion. Alternatively, allow the chia to soak overnight in the milk, then add to the recipe.
Preheat a small non-stick pan on medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to the wet ingredients.
Stir until just mixed.
Pour ¼ of the mixture into the preheated pan. Allow the first side to cook for 3-4 minutes, or until bubbles form and the edges begin to turn golden.
Flip and allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Place completed pancake on cooling rack and repeat with remaining batter.
Serve with melted coconut oil, maple syrup, chopped apple and pecans.
Feel free to replace the xylitol with 2 tablespoons of another type of sweetener. Palm sugar, honey, maple syrup or demerara sugar would all be good choices.
Yields: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 small pancakes
Total Fat: 3.1 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 146 mg
Carbohydrates: 26.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 7.0 g
Sugars: 6.6 g
Protein: 8.7 g
SmartPoints value : 5